Friday, June 27, 2008

Photography: Capturing the World




"Capture" is one of the words often used when referring to the act of someone shooting a photo -- the photographer captured a great moment, an interesting image, a revealing expression.

That is one of the reasons that I am fascinated by photography, along with millions of other people -- it has the ability to capture and preserve the visual aspect of this amazing world around us.

I love all kinds of photography -- nature, landscapes, cityscapes, you name it -- but I'm particularly taken with portrait photography.

Generally speaking, I'd say that human beings are the most interesting subjects on planet Earth. And in "capturing" any one of these most-interesting subjects, when a portrait works, it reveals something of the personality of its subject.

Of course, the photo's setting and the subject's overall body language count for much, but in the realm of portrait photography, certainly, it is the human face that expresses so much.

One thing I've noticed about portraits -- it gives the viewer the opportunity to stare, close-up, at someone else's face. To look into the mysteries that lie within someone else's eyes, or see the subtleties of someone else's expressions.
I have posted dozens of photos I've shot over the years on various other on-line websites, and through this blog I'm sure I will be mentioning those other sites over the course of time.

But for now, I'd just like to post on this blog a few portraits I've shot. At some point in the not-to-distant future, I'd like to use this blog as a vehicle for selling some of my photography on-line. But that's for later.

For now, this second blog entry of mine is for the display of some portraits that I've shot. Enjoy.

The Portraits:

-- the brunette with the brown vest is Amy, photographed where she works at the Coffee Pavilion in Hanover Square, Syracuse, New York.

-- the blonde woman wearing green is Melissa Tiffany, the owner and curator and curator of the Orange Line Gallery


-- I do not know the name of the gal in the mirror; this is one frame of a video I was shooting as these young ladies were getting ready for a wedding.

No comments: