Friday, June 27, 2008

NewFolkNow Has Arrived


Yea verily, NewFolkNow, the blog, has arrived.

The author of this blog is yours truly, Larry Hoyt, a folksinger/songwriter living here in beautiful Syracuse, New York -- right smack dab in the middle of beautiful New York State.

In addition to writing and performing music, I also have the distinct pleasure of hosting a folk and acoustic radio show, Common Threads, on WAER-FM (88.3 Syracuse). In just over one week, on July 6, we'll be celebrating the 11th anniversary of Common Threads.

Programming and hosting Common Threads has been an incredibly positive experience. For Common Threads, I've had the pleasure of recording interviews with Pete Seeger, Dave VanRonk, U. Utah Phillips, Christine Lavin, Chris Smither, Richard Shindell, Tracy Grammer, Susan Werner, Karen Savoca, Martin Sexton, and a whole host of other top touring contemporary folk and acoustic artists.
I've also very much enjoyed being able to interview on the air so many of the excellent folk and acoustic artists who reside here in Central New York, including the aforementioned Karen Savoca and Pete Heitzman, Dana "Short Order" Cooke, John Cadley, Loren Barrigar, John Rossbach, the Delaney Brothers, Colin Aberdeen, Jim Tobey, and many more. And being able to play such a wide variety of excellent, but "non-commercial" folk and acoustic music has been one of the best, most gratifying experiences of my life.
To be the only deejay in Syracuse to play, on a regular basis, such outstanding artists as Phil Ochs, Tom Paxton, Chuck Brodsky, Joel Mabus, Carla Ulbrich, Rani Arbo, Alison Krauss, Doc Watson, Tim O'Brien, and so many others, makes me incredibly happy and proud.

And I'm extrememly happy that Common Threads has attracted a substantial, loyal audience, who tune in to the show on Sunday afternoons, from 12 noon to 3 pm. In addition to being broadcast on 88.3 FM, the show is also available on-line via http://www.waer.org/

One of the reasons I'm starting this blog is my desire to express my views and opinions on a whole wide variety of subjects.
But I wanted to begin with a subject near and dear to my heart -- folk and acoustic music -- a most positive cultural force, in my opinion, known for its attention to social and poltical issues, as well as dealing with the more common everyday subjects, such as life, death, work, love, loss, lost love, and gettin' to heaven.

Well, that's it for now, but I'm sure this will be continued. Thanks for readin'!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay Larry ;)
great Blog!