Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Blog About Blogging - Always Moving Ahead

OK -- this is my third blog entry,
and I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

What I find a little strange about the mechanics
of blogging is this sensation that each new blog is
taking the reader(s) a bit farther away from the
opening chapters -- the important initial topics (music and photography) -- that got this blog up and running in the first place.
For me, my first two blogs kinda set the foundation for so much that will follow.
But the way blogs work, the most recent entry is the one you're gonna see first, so, in a sense, everything kind of works backwards.
It's like reading a book, starting with the last chapter, and then working your way towards the beginning of the book.

I realize I'm coming into this blogosphere (spelling?) a few years after it's already as hip and as happening as the Internet itself, so I have limited expectations regarding how wide a reach this late-coming blog will have. But even if it's just read by a few folks amongst my family and friends, it will have served it's purpose.

Like most artists and writers and musicians, I do enjoy expressing myself, and writing this blog gives me one more way to do just that.
I expect I'll be writing about the music scene here in Central New York State, and folk and acoustic music in general. I'll be posting some photos, and some videos, and commenting on art and photography activities here in the Syracuse area. And as time goes by, I'll probably end up commenting on anything and everything - cats, sidewalks, drug law reform, the amazing new world of modern technology, the difficulty in losing weight, and the vast wasteland that is sometimes referred to as popular culture (I know -- that's harsh..).

The photo of me that I've posted on this blog was shot by a friend of mine, Janet, who I met through the Syracuse Photography Meetup Group.
The SPMG has about 70 members, and they meet once a month for a social get-together (that has some photography involved), and then usually once a month they also meet for a group photography session that has a lot of social networking involved as well.
It's a good, interesting mix of people. Some of the members are professional photographers; some are serious photographers creating and trying to sell their art; some are amateurs who simply want to improve their skills and network with other folks who share similar interests.
Information on the Syracuse Photography Meetup Group can be found at
www.photo.meetup.com/444

photo of Larry Hoyt by Janet Lee
www.janetleephotography.com

to be continued....

1 comment:

Bill Hahn said...

Good points, Larry, about reading backwards from the last chapter.

Nice going as all things you do

Bill Hahn