Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July Vegan Barbeque and Acoustic Ska at the Recess Cafe



One of the great things about living in the Westcott Nation (aka the Westcott neighborhood in Syracuse, New York - just east of Syracuse University) is the variety of cultural and entertainment experiences available in the 'hood and right nearby.
Case in point: the vegan barbeque and acoustic ska show that took place today, July 4th, at the Recess Cafe on Harvard Place, right smack dab in the middle of the Westcott Nation.

I'm not a vegan;
I'm not even a vegetarian;
but I thought the food they served was pretty good: they had vegan alternatives to a chicken patty, to a beef hamburger patty, and veggie hot dogs, plus regular vegetable items, such as corn on the cob, baked beans, and the trademark food item for summers in Central New York: salt potatoes -- those little potatoes boiled in salty water and then served with melted butter (but in this case, served with a vegan alternative that I believe was called Earth Balance -- not bad).

Musically, the first act was a very pleasant surprise: four relatively young musicians known as the Gnarwals who played and sang acoustic renditions of original ska-flavored songs. This gig was one of their very rare acoustic performances and it worked just right within the intimate confines of the back room at the cafe.
I shot lots of photos of the Gnarwals and others at the cafe; I've posted a few here on my blog, plus others appear on my Flickr site:
and also on the Meetup photography site
Happy Fourth of July, everybody --may all your days be filled with Independence!

1 comment:

Dennis said...

Man, you are making me hungry.