Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Larry Hoyt & the Good Acoustics at Sterling Stage



top two photos of Larry Hoyt & Good Acoustics getting ready and playing onstage coutesy of http://www.janetleephotography.com/;
bottom photo courtesy of Jeff Stanton
========================
This past Saturday, July 5, I had the great pleasure of performing with the Good Acoustics at the String Fling, at the Sterling Stage Kampitheater in beautiful, rural, Sterling, New York.
=================
=================

Saturday was a pleasant sunny day with low humidity and a temperature around 80 degrees --which makes a big positive difference while traveling and playing at this kind of outdoor/semi-outdoor festival.
I'm sure most music fans and musicians who have attended summer music festivals can relay horror stories of other festivals that took place under scorching heat, near-freezing cold, and/or endured never-ending torrential rain storms.
Thank goodness we had such a perfect, beautiful day!
======================================
Of the four Good Acoustics, I've known bassist Dave Goldman the longest -- at least 20, maybe 25 years (!!!). I almost cannot believe it's been that long!
Somewhere back in the way-back-when, Dave and I actually played together in an oldies band called the Troublemakers. I forget how many gigs we played, but among the most memorable was a winter-time gig at a little dive, the Round House, in East Syracuse, right down by the railroad tracks.
The venue had a barroom, which was heated, and a band/music room that may or may not have been heated.
Outside on that cold winter's night, the temperature was something in the range of 15 degrees;
but inside the band/music room, the temperature must have been at least 50 degrees!
I think that gig was one of our last as the Troublemakers.
For me, it is truly great to have re-connected with Dave, who is a genuinely great guy, and a man of many talents and interests.
=========================
I've known mandolinist and vocalist Ed Van Cott for a few years.
I first met Ed when he came to perform at an open mic I was hosting at the time at the Lucky Moon Cafe.
One of the very best things about open mics is the likelihood of running into talented musicians who might be looking to hook up with other musicians to play some gigs.
Again, I feel very fortunate to know Ed and to be able to play music with him. He's very knowledgable regarding bluegrass and gospel music, and he somehow is able to sing harmony with my sometimes erratic lead vocals. Ed also likes to crack jokes, which I consider a very worthwhile talent.
Ed also plays in the bluegrass band, Diamond Someday.
=======================================
I met violinist Judy Stanton a few months ago at an acoustic jam hosted by a mutual friend of ours -- that is another great way to meet other musicians. The first time I heard Judy play, I was immediately struck by her talent. She has played with symphony orchestras, with rock bands, and with a klezmer group. Once again, I must say how fortunate I feel being able to play with someone as talented and as upbeat-positive as is Judy. And she is also someone who likes to crack jokes.
========================================
The newest member of the group, and by far the youngest, is 15-year old guitarist Lee Detota.
I met Lee via his mom when I told her that I played in an oldies band and we were considering adding a lead guitarist. It's obvious that Lee likes to play, and he has achieved a high level of technical skill for someone his age. Lee says his favorites are the Allman Brothers, and at this String Fling gig we added the Allmans' "Rambling Man" to our repertoire.
(Now I just have to figure out what key is best for me to sing "Rambling Man" in (which can depend on the time of day and how raspy my voice happens to be at the time..)).
If Lee stays as interested in the guitar as he seems to be now, I predict Lee will have a great many more opportunites to play higher-profile gigs in the future.
=============================================
One of my favorite songs to perform live is Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again," which contains these wonderful lines:
"On the road again, I just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is making music with my friends, and I can't wait to get on the road again."
I really do love making music with my friends, and as long as there is beautiful weather on a sunny day, then pack me up and put me on the road again!
I am ready to play!
===================================

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea....Ramblin Man (not Free Bird :) Looking forward to hearing you play soon!!
xo meltraine

Dennis said...

Great photos... wish I could have been there.

Anonymous said...

Love your music, Larry Your the best!